Published On: October 25, 2017
Electronic Prescribing or e-Prescribing has steadily grown nationally and in Arizona. Approximately two-thirds of prescriptions nationally and just over half of prescriptions in Arizona are -prescribed.
The many reasons for e-prescribing include:
- Improving patient care through the e-prescribing tools built into electronic health record systems (EHRs) that provide alerts for drug-to-drug interactions, allergies, therapeutic duplications, and contraindications
- Increasing patient adherence
- Reducing the potential for forgery of paper prescriptions and abuse of controlled substances
- Eliminating phone calls and inaccuracy due to illegible hand-written prescriptions
- Meeting Meaningful Use and Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) requirements
E-Prescribing of Controlled Substances: Legal & Efficient
The electronic prescribing of controlled substances (EPCS) has been legal in Arizona since April 2012. This means that one work flow can be used for both controlled and non-controlled prescriptions. And the pharmacies are ready – 98.5 percent of Arizona’s pharmacies accept e-prescriptions and 94.5 percent are EPCS-enabled.
Many patients today expect e-prescribing. They appreciate the convenience as well as the additional safety features that e-prescribing offers.
Health Current offers e-prescribing help to providers by providing education, answering questions and assisting with barriers encountered. To contact us, please email email@example.com or visit www.healthcurrent.org/information-center/e-prescribing/ for more information.